Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Paypal "Cancel Transaction" Scam



I received an alarming email this morning. It claimed my Paypal online bank account had been billed 699.99 by Wayne E. Bakewell of Brownsville, PA. The email included a helpful link to "CANCEL TRANSACTION." Thankfully, my suspicious nature kicked in and I decided to log into my Paypal account through a previous bookmark. Sure enough, there was no charge - just another attempt by a would be thief to steal my account information. NEVER NEVER NEVER click on the link included in any email claiming to be from your bank or online account. These links are included to lead you to a bogus site where you will be asked to CONFIRM your sensitive account password and other information. ALWAYS access your account by typing the address directly into your browser or through your own bookmark.

No comments: